Monday, August 15, 2011

Summertime Is The Greatest! Kansas Cucumber Salad

Summertime is the greatest, right?

If you can stand the heat and humidity (in Ohio).

I am a wimp when it comes to humidity. Can't stand the stuff.....

But serenity and foods of summertime cannot keep me away.

I just love the Finch! Isn't he gorgeous?

My mom has Finch feeders (tons of them) and I love going to her house to see the feeders packed full of Finches.

I finally bought myself a Finch feeder so I can enjoy watching them at my own house.

The only thing is, I live in town and there are stray cats (ones that don't get fed). They hang-out around my bird feeders. Makes me so mad......

Those cats better leave my Finches alone!!

Summertime veggies! Anything better? I think not!

Fresh sliced cucumber.....

Making your mouth water, right?

This salad recipe comes from a dear friend of mine. When I am looking for a TNT recipe, never fail, always perfect, I turn to The Better Baker.

And I know some of you own her cookbook. This wonderful recipe is on page 19 (just to help you out). But if you don't own it, you can get it. Just click The Better Baker link above, order cookbook, and Marsha will send you one.

I didn't make too many changes to this recipe. When it comes to The Better Baker recipes they don't have to be adjusted.

This recipe is linked to:
Lark's Country Heart

Kansas Cucumber Salad

1 c. mayonnaise
1/4 sugar
1/4 c. vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
1/2 tsp. dill weed (I mounded mine)
1/2 tsp. salt, optional
4 med. cucumbers, peeled and sliced
3 green onions, sliced (I used thinly sliced vidalia)
I added a small amount of crushed black pepper

In a bowl, combine mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, dill, and salt. Add cucumbers and onions; toss. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
6-8 servings

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace."
Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

Do you remember the country song that Alabama put out? It explains a common lifestyle of our generation today:
"I'm in a hurry to get things done. I rush and rush until life's no fun. All I really gotta do is live and die, but I'm in a hurry and don't know why."
Time is our most precious resource. It is perishable and irreplaceable. God in his beauty has given us all the same amount - 24 hours a day. The quality, happiness, and impact of our lives are directly related to how wisely we use the time we have been given.
The Bible never says that Jesus rushed anywhere. He was usually busy, but found an ample amount of time to pray, play with children, investigate a fig tree, to take a nap during a boat ride, rest at noon-time beside a well, and enough time to attend a wedding reception. The Bible does not say, if you hurry, you can catch up with God. But it does say, "Be still and know that I am God." (Psalm 46:10). It does not say, join up with me and I will work you twenty-four hours a day. It does say, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28). Take the time to enjoy what is going on around you (purpose, priority, and plan).

4 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this before, but it looks and sounds absolutely delish! I am definitely going to need to pick up some cucumbers so I can make this!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post! Your photos are 'picture perfect'! So glad you enjoy this lovely salad - we have it nearly all summer long here too. Thanks much for the 'promo' too...you are a darlin! Keep eating healthy...I'm trying to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! And Marsha's cook book is a good one to have on hand! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also nice with some thinly sliced Radish rounds,
    A nice additive for both colour & flavor

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to and appreciate any comments.
Thank you for stopping by.

Labels

2013 (1) Ambrosia (1) Appetizers (23) Apples (2) artichoke (2) Arugula (1) Asparagus (1) Bacon (1) Baking (2) Balsamic Vinegar (3) Bars (18) BBQ (1) Beans (1) Beef (24) Beer (1) Beverage (8) Black Beans (1) Blended Oats (1) Blind Spot Nutbutter (1) Blueberries (1) Bread and Quick Bread (28) Breakfast (18) Buckeyes (1) Caesar Dressing (1) Cake (48) Candy (1) Candy Cane (2) Candy Corn (1) Casing Franks (1) Casserole (1) Celery (1) Cheese (1) cheese ball (1) Cheesecake (1) Cherry (1) Chicken (40) chili (1) Chocolate (2) chocolate chip cookies (2) chocolate chips (1) Christmas (5) Cinnamon (2) coconut (1) Coffee Mate (1) Cookie Butter (1) Cookie Cutters (1) Cookies (45) Cornmeal (1) crackers (1) Cranberries (1) Cranberry Sauce (1) Cream Cheese (2) crescent rolls (1) Crock Pot (5) Cucumber (1) Cut-out Cookies (1) danish (1) Dessert (4) Dry Roasted Peanuts (1) Egg White (1) Eggs (1) Fall (2) feta (1) Fish (5) Foodie Friends Friday (3) French Toast (1) French's Crispy Jalapenos (1) fruit (2) Fudge (1) Garlic (3) Garlic Bread (1) Giveaway (10) Giveaways (3) Greek (1) Green (1) guacamole (1) Holiday (32) Holiday Gifts (1) Jell-O (3) Key Lime (1) Lasagna (1) Link Party (11) linky party (1) liver (1) Low calorie (1) Magazine (1) Marshmallow Fluff (1) Martha White (1) Meat Balls (1) Mediterranean (1) menu (12) Mexican Soup (1) Muffins (23) Mushrooms (3) Nestle Toll House (1) No-Bake (1) Nut Butter (1) Oatmeal (1) Oatmeal Scotchies (1) olives (1) Overnight (1) Parmesan cheese (1) Pasta (5) Peanut Butter (2) Pear (1) Penne (1) Pepperoni (1) Pesto (2) Picnics (1) Pico De Gallo (1) Pie (1) Pie Crust (1) pie filling (1) Pies (9) Pistachios (1) Pizza (1) Points (1) Pork (21) Pork Loin (1) Pot Roast (1) Potato (2) Potluck (1) Pretzel Buns (2) Product Review (1) pumpkin (2) Recipe (62) Recipes (19) Reese's (1) Review (1) Roasted Vegetables (2) salad (2) Salads (46) Sandwiches (16) Sargento Cheese (1) Sausage (1) Side (2) side dish (1) simmer sauce (1) Simple (1) Sliders (1) Snickers (1) Soup (41) spinach (6) Sprinkles (1) squash (1) Stir Fry (1) Strawberry (1) stuffed pepper (1) Stuffing (1) Sugar Free (1) Survival (1) Sweet Baby Ray (1) Taste of Home (2) This and That (120) Tomatoes (3) Trader Joe's (1) Turkey (6) Valentine's Day (1) Vegetables (38) Web Site (1) Weight Watchers (17) White Chocolate (1) wilted (1) Wrap (1)