Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I Love Games: Untitled

We are going to play a game today.

I love games!!

Especially the ones where you have to guess what is in the picture.

Can you guess what I'm making?

What about now?

What are those dough balls going to become?

Have you placed your guess yet?

I am so thankful for Mommy's Kitchen.

I have finally crossed off an item on my bucket list.

Thank you so much Mommy's Kitchen.

I spent a lot of time running through the house screaming,

"I have finally done it!! I have mastered the recipe for....."

And you thought I was going to give it away.

Nope, you have to wait until the next picture, or the picture after that.

Are you still guessing?

Can you tell what it is now?

Yup, flour tortillas.

Did you guess that in the very first picture?

These are so good, and I have been given orders to never buy pre-packaged tortillas again.

My request: Don't ever ask me to do a taco party.

Rolling out each tortilla was a lot of work.

I can't imagine a woman or man making these regularly for their family.

Just making 12 was time consuming,

But the rewards: AMAZING!!


Flour Tortillas

2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
5-6 TBS vegetable shortening or lard
3/4 c. hot water

In a large bowl add the flour, salt, baking powder and shortening. Using your fingers cut in the shortening (I used a pastry blender) until the mixture resembles pea size pieces. Add the hot water and mix together using your hands or a wooden spoon until the mixture starts to form. Knead on a floured surface for 5 - 10 minutes or until the mixture is smooth and elastic. Form the dough into a ball. Place the dough into a covered bowl and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.

Pinch off the dough into 12 equal pieces and roll each piece into golf ball size balls. Place the balls back into the bowl and cover and let the dough balls rest for 20 minutes. Preheat your griddle or cast iron pan on med - high heat. Flatten each dough ball a bit and then roll out on a floured surface forming a circle (and you can tell that mine were not perfectly round).

Your tortillas should be thin rather than thick. Place into the hot skillet, and cook until bubbly. Flip and continue cooking the other side. Each side should cook about 30 seconds. Keep the cooked tortillas warm while you continue rolling and cooking the remaining tortillas.

Good Luck~Happy Eating~Enjoy

"My soul, wait silently for God alone,
For my expectation is from Him.
He only is my rock and my salvation;
He is my defense;
I shall not be moved."
Psalm 62:5-6

6 comments:

  1. Yummy! They look delicious! Fresh tortillas are SO amazing... NOTHING like store bought...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome to know you loved these! I saw that interesting recipe too at MK's, and am really excited to try them...after your giving it '5 stars' on the list of to-do's. Love your humor and the fun we have here....keep on keeping on. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The scripture you posted is one I shared often...definitely a favorite! :*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah you made them..... absolutley awesome arent they...you will never go back to store bought ones again... just made some yesterday myself....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness I love tortillas now I want to give this a try. I would love to be able to make my own.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look so good. Much better than store-bought. I really need to try homemade.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to and appreciate any comments.
Thank you for stopping by.

Labels

2013 (1) Ambrosia (1) Appetizers (23) Apples (2) artichoke (2) Arugula (1) Asparagus (1) Bacon (1) Baking (2) Balsamic Vinegar (3) Bars (18) BBQ (1) Beans (1) Beef (24) Beer (1) Beverage (8) Black Beans (1) Blended Oats (1) Blind Spot Nutbutter (1) Blueberries (1) Bread and Quick Bread (28) Breakfast (18) Buckeyes (1) Caesar Dressing (1) Cake (48) Candy (1) Candy Cane (2) Candy Corn (1) Casing Franks (1) Casserole (1) Celery (1) Cheese (1) cheese ball (1) Cheesecake (1) Cherry (1) Chicken (40) chili (1) Chocolate (2) chocolate chip cookies (2) chocolate chips (1) Christmas (5) Cinnamon (2) coconut (1) Coffee Mate (1) Cookie Butter (1) Cookie Cutters (1) Cookies (45) Cornmeal (1) crackers (1) Cranberries (1) Cranberry Sauce (1) Cream Cheese (2) crescent rolls (1) Crock Pot (5) Cucumber (1) Cut-out Cookies (1) danish (1) Dessert (4) Dry Roasted Peanuts (1) Egg White (1) Eggs (1) Fall (2) feta (1) Fish (5) Foodie Friends Friday (3) French Toast (1) French's Crispy Jalapenos (1) fruit (2) Fudge (1) Garlic (3) Garlic Bread (1) Giveaway (10) Giveaways (3) Greek (1) Green (1) guacamole (1) Holiday (32) Holiday Gifts (1) Jell-O (3) Key Lime (1) Lasagna (1) Link Party (11) linky party (1) liver (1) Low calorie (1) Magazine (1) Marshmallow Fluff (1) Martha White (1) Meat Balls (1) Mediterranean (1) menu (12) Mexican Soup (1) Muffins (23) Mushrooms (3) Nestle Toll House (1) No-Bake (1) Nut Butter (1) Oatmeal (1) Oatmeal Scotchies (1) olives (1) Overnight (1) Parmesan cheese (1) Pasta (5) Peanut Butter (2) Pear (1) Penne (1) Pepperoni (1) Pesto (2) Picnics (1) Pico De Gallo (1) Pie (1) Pie Crust (1) pie filling (1) Pies (9) Pistachios (1) Pizza (1) Points (1) Pork (21) Pork Loin (1) Pot Roast (1) Potato (2) Potluck (1) Pretzel Buns (2) Product Review (1) pumpkin (2) Recipe (62) Recipes (19) Reese's (1) Review (1) Roasted Vegetables (2) salad (2) Salads (46) Sandwiches (16) Sargento Cheese (1) Sausage (1) Side (2) side dish (1) simmer sauce (1) Simple (1) Sliders (1) Snickers (1) Soup (41) spinach (6) Sprinkles (1) squash (1) Stir Fry (1) Strawberry (1) stuffed pepper (1) Stuffing (1) Sugar Free (1) Survival (1) Sweet Baby Ray (1) Taste of Home (2) This and That (120) Tomatoes (3) Trader Joe's (1) Turkey (6) Valentine's Day (1) Vegetables (38) Web Site (1) Weight Watchers (17) White Chocolate (1) wilted (1) Wrap (1)