Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Creamiest, Dreamiest: Corn Chowder

My inspiration for this soup was: left-over broth from my corned beef brisket. I headed to the kitchen with every intention of making potato rival soup.

But when someone that loves to cook and experiment enters a kitchen....(excuse my French) all hell breaks loose.

I started adding things to the pot, finding more things in the frig, the canned goods cupboard, and freezer, and WA-LA!!....I ended with creamy corn chowder.

And CREAMY is true.

I started with peeling and dicing 4 large potatoes, and diced a few carrots. I grabbed an onion, my last clove of garlic, and found some Monterey Jack cheese and evaporated milk.

I browned the onion, garlic, and the diced smoked sausage I found in my freezer with 1 stick of butter. I then added a mounded 1/4 c. of flour, stirred everything together to form a thick paste. Then I added two bags of steam fresh corn, the evaporated milk, cayenne pepper, parsley flakes, and salt and pepper to taste.
While I am making my pasty mixture, my potatoes and carrots are boiling in the 4 cups of corned beef broth. I boiled them until they were solid/tender and then added them by ladle-fulls into the pasty mixture, stirring as I went. When I got close to the end of the potatoes and carrots I just grabbed the pot and poured.

I then added 1 c. of Monterey Pepper-Jack cheese (that looks like a cup, right?) and a little more milk to add to the creaminess (about 1 - 2 cups).

Every experiment has to be taste tested, right? Well, my first taste test was such a pleasing experience, I had to grab every clean soup spoon I own because I just knew that one taste test would not be enough. It looks like I am going to have to taste test it about twenty more times. But that's okay, I have to make sure that it is perfectly tasty for my family (right?).

One thing that I am struggling with is: The amount of food I make. When a person goes from cooking for 5, down to 2 1/2, it is quite a dramatic change.

When Sean got home and seen the huge pot of soup, his first reaction was; "Why do you make so much?"

For real, I own an imaginary restaurant and I have to make sure that my customers have enough to eat.

No, I'm not that crazy (only sometimes).


We ate this for a couple days and then the rest went in the freezer. We will have creamy corn chowder at our fingertips when the mood strikes. See, simple solution to the over-cooking.

Creamy Corn Chowder

1/2 c. butter
1/2 large onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pkg smoked sausage, diced
1 mounded 1/4 c. flour
2 bags steam fresh corn
1 (12 oz.) evaporated milk
4 c. corned beef broth, or broth of your choice
4 large potatoes, diced
1 1/2 c. diced carrots
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 1/2 TBS dried parsley
1 cup shredded Monterey Pepper-Jack cheese
1 - 2 c. milk

Melt butter slowly. Add onion, garlic, and sausage and saute 3 - 5 minutes. Add flour, salt and pepper, cayenne pepper, parsley, and corn, and mix thoroughly. Add evaporated milk and potatoes, carrots, and broth. Cook until thick. Add the 1 - 2 c. more milk and grated cheese. Let simmer on low for at least an hour.

"Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded." James 4:8

3 comments:

  1. This looks amazing... I am gonna make this soon :) yummy...and I too make way more food... my husband says who ya feeding?? I say the world...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a creative genius you are! This looks and sounds just wonderful. Oh how I love thick, creamy, tasty soups! I'd say this is a real winner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks wonderful. I'm flagging it for next week. ~ Ellen

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to and appreciate any comments.
Thank you for stopping by.

Labels

2013 (1) Ambrosia (1) Appetizers (23) Apples (2) artichoke (2) Arugula (1) Asparagus (1) Bacon (1) Baking (2) Balsamic Vinegar (3) Bars (18) BBQ (1) Beans (1) Beef (24) Beer (1) Beverage (8) Black Beans (1) Blended Oats (1) Blind Spot Nutbutter (1) Blueberries (1) Bread and Quick Bread (28) Breakfast (18) Buckeyes (1) Caesar Dressing (1) Cake (48) Candy (1) Candy Cane (2) Candy Corn (1) Casing Franks (1) Casserole (1) Celery (1) Cheese (1) cheese ball (1) Cheesecake (1) Cherry (1) Chicken (40) chili (1) Chocolate (2) chocolate chip cookies (2) chocolate chips (1) Christmas (5) Cinnamon (2) coconut (1) Coffee Mate (1) Cookie Butter (1) Cookie Cutters (1) Cookies (45) Cornmeal (1) crackers (1) Cranberries (1) Cranberry Sauce (1) Cream Cheese (2) crescent rolls (1) Crock Pot (5) Cucumber (1) Cut-out Cookies (1) danish (1) Dessert (4) Dry Roasted Peanuts (1) Egg White (1) Eggs (1) Fall (2) feta (1) Fish (5) Foodie Friends Friday (3) French Toast (1) French's Crispy Jalapenos (1) fruit (2) Fudge (1) Garlic (3) Garlic Bread (1) Giveaway (10) Giveaways (3) Greek (1) Green (1) guacamole (1) Holiday (32) Holiday Gifts (1) Jell-O (3) Key Lime (1) Lasagna (1) Link Party (11) linky party (1) liver (1) Low calorie (1) Magazine (1) Marshmallow Fluff (1) Martha White (1) Meat Balls (1) Mediterranean (1) menu (12) Mexican Soup (1) Muffins (23) Mushrooms (3) Nestle Toll House (1) No-Bake (1) Nut Butter (1) Oatmeal (1) Oatmeal Scotchies (1) olives (1) Overnight (1) Parmesan cheese (1) Pasta (5) Peanut Butter (2) Pear (1) Penne (1) Pepperoni (1) Pesto (2) Picnics (1) Pico De Gallo (1) Pie (1) Pie Crust (1) pie filling (1) Pies (9) Pistachios (1) Pizza (1) Points (1) Pork (21) Pork Loin (1) Pot Roast (1) Potato (2) Potluck (1) Pretzel Buns (2) Product Review (1) pumpkin (2) Recipe (62) Recipes (19) Reese's (1) Review (1) Roasted Vegetables (2) salad (2) Salads (46) Sandwiches (16) Sargento Cheese (1) Sausage (1) Side (2) side dish (1) simmer sauce (1) Simple (1) Sliders (1) Snickers (1) Soup (41) spinach (6) Sprinkles (1) squash (1) Stir Fry (1) Strawberry (1) stuffed pepper (1) Stuffing (1) Sugar Free (1) Survival (1) Sweet Baby Ray (1) Taste of Home (2) This and That (120) Tomatoes (3) Trader Joe's (1) Turkey (6) Valentine's Day (1) Vegetables (38) Web Site (1) Weight Watchers (17) White Chocolate (1) wilted (1) Wrap (1)