Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Grab a Large Cup of Coffee: Double-Chocolate Heath Bar Cookie

Pour yourself a large cup of coffee, invite a friend, pull up a comfy chair, because this is going to be great!!


This is my friend Michelle (Crippen) Howard. Say HELLO everyone!!

Isn't it funny how childhood friendship (gone missing in action) can pick-up right where it was left off?

Michelle and I planned a baking day-date (or should I call it a play date?). We go way back in our friendship to young childhood.

Our parents were very good friends (Spike, Mary Lee, Butch (suds), and Beth (nubs)) and we hopped back and forth from each other's houses for a very long time. Michelle and I were hard-core Barbie players. We took our Barbie's everywhere we went, even on the camping outings that our parents planned. Back then the parents were always trying to find ways to entertain us kids (I think to keep us out of their hair more than anything). Our parents made home-made mini bikes, go-carts, and they even tried a swimming pool, which was destroyed (by the parents) the same night it was assembled. We had no idea our parents could ever act that way. Now why in the world would parents spend the evening throwing each other in a child's kiddie-pool? Needless to say, we only got to use the pool one day. I have come to believe that the parents had every intention of using that pool for their own entertainment. What do you think?

When Michelle arrived yesterday, with picnic basket in hand (full of baking supplies and surprises), we just couldn't talk fast enough. I'm sure you know how it is when you haven't seen a friend for a long time?

We rushed into baking talk, of course, spending a half hour telling each other what we have made over the years and how good the outcome was. Then all of a sudden we realized that we hadn't even given each other a hug.
As you can see, we were both dressed for the occasion. Michelle in her sweats and me in pajamas, no make-up, and hair pinned up. Yup, baking is all about comfort ability.
As we eased our way into the baking for the day, our talk turned into catching up, reminiscing, and our future plans, with the baking processes coming naturally. I love being able to bake, chat, and reminisce. The finished products taste so much better when they are mixed with friendship.

Michelle showed up with this book in hand (in her picnic basket). If you are a serious blogger and have not yet read this book, you are truly missing out. This is Ree Drummond (when you go to the Web site click on "cooking" and it will take you directly to her blog), and she has created a cookbook that looks exactly like a blog. AMAZING!!

I had no idea that this woman even existed (thanks to Michelle I have been truly awakened).

Michelle threw this book in my face (not really, but she introduced me to Ree's cookbook), and Michelle said, "You remind me so much of this lady (Ree)." Michelle said that I use the same technique with my blog as Ree Drummond does with her own. That is so cool! I have no explanation as to why my blog would be even the slightest bit similar. I guess we (Ree and I) have the same thought process without even knowing it, and they say that no two people think alike. Ha, I think that has just been proven wrong.

With Michelle being the sweet person that she is, she gave me this book. I can't wait to sit down and read this cookbook from cover to cover.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Michelle. What a great person (friend) you are.

Ree Drummond's cookbook is set up with step-by-step pictures, and every recipe tells a story.

She even talks about the animals on the ranch, her friends, and family life.

Ree lives on a ranch in Oklahoma with her husband and four children. The story of how she got there is absolutely amazing.

You have got to get this book!

These are the creations that Michelle and I produced. Cut-out sugar cookies, double-chocolate heath bar cookies, and tomato bread.

Yes, that is tomato bread, my best kept secret (now yours Michelle if you have a good memory), SSHHHH....don't tell my little secret.

The double-chocolate heath bar cookies are so good. I'm sure Michelle won't mind sharing. This is the cookie dough she had tucked under her arm when she arrived.

Michelle also introduced me to Pampered Chef's cookie dough scoops (by thumping me right in the middle of the forehead. Wake up lady!). Just kidding.... she has no idea how I have managed without them. I am now on a mission.

Double-Chocolate Heath Bar Cookies

1/2 c. butter, softened
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. flour
1/2 c. baking cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 - 12 oz. bag chocolate chips
12 oz. bag caramel bits
6 heath bars, coarsely chopped

In a large bowl beat together softened butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture and beat until combined. Beat in chocolate chips, caramel bits and chopped heath bars. Cover and chill in refrigerator about fifteen minutes or until dough is firm enough to handle.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Using a TBS of dough for each cookie, roll into balls. Place 2 inches apart onto lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake for 12 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before eating. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

Thank you for the great day yesterday Michelle.

Good Luck~Happy Eating~Enjoy

5 comments:

  1. Oh what fun to get together with a friend and bake up a storm! Awesome pictures - can't wait to add this recipe to the 'must try' pile! Way to go Girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had so much fun. It is great to wake up a sleeping friendship. There is just so much to talk about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just reread this lovely post - and am in shock that you didn't already have Pampered Chef scoops? :-O I use mine all the time - I'm familiar with Ree too, but not her cookbook. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Pampered Chef, but I was always more focused on the bake-ware stones and wooden spoons. I am definitely going to get myself some of those cookie scoops though.
    I don't know what to say about not hearing about Ree. I don't watch much TV, I live a sheltered life, and am not getting my hair done in the right salon....I can't believe I have never heard about this woman. She is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would appreciate if you could give Michelle my number . i served in the army a long time ago with her. my name is kendel. 6012278851

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to and appreciate any comments.
Thank you for stopping by.

Labels

2013 (1) Ambrosia (1) Appetizers (23) Apples (2) artichoke (2) Arugula (1) Asparagus (1) Bacon (1) Baking (2) Balsamic Vinegar (3) Bars (18) BBQ (1) Beans (1) Beef (24) Beer (1) Beverage (8) Black Beans (1) Blended Oats (1) Blind Spot Nutbutter (1) Blueberries (1) Bread and Quick Bread (28) Breakfast (18) Buckeyes (1) Caesar Dressing (1) Cake (48) Candy (1) Candy Cane (2) Candy Corn (1) Casing Franks (1) Casserole (1) Celery (1) Cheese (1) cheese ball (1) Cheesecake (1) Cherry (1) Chicken (40) chili (1) Chocolate (2) chocolate chip cookies (2) chocolate chips (1) Christmas (5) Cinnamon (2) coconut (1) Coffee Mate (1) Cookie Butter (1) Cookie Cutters (1) Cookies (45) Cornmeal (1) crackers (1) Cranberries (1) Cranberry Sauce (1) Cream Cheese (2) crescent rolls (1) Crock Pot (5) Cucumber (1) Cut-out Cookies (1) danish (1) Dessert (4) Dry Roasted Peanuts (1) Egg White (1) Eggs (1) Fall (2) feta (1) Fish (5) Foodie Friends Friday (3) French Toast (1) French's Crispy Jalapenos (1) fruit (2) Fudge (1) Garlic (3) Garlic Bread (1) Giveaway (10) Giveaways (3) Greek (1) Green (1) guacamole (1) Holiday (32) Holiday Gifts (1) Jell-O (3) Key Lime (1) Lasagna (1) Link Party (11) linky party (1) liver (1) Low calorie (1) Magazine (1) Marshmallow Fluff (1) Martha White (1) Meat Balls (1) Mediterranean (1) menu (12) Mexican Soup (1) Muffins (23) Mushrooms (3) Nestle Toll House (1) No-Bake (1) Nut Butter (1) Oatmeal (1) Oatmeal Scotchies (1) olives (1) Overnight (1) Parmesan cheese (1) Pasta (5) Peanut Butter (2) Pear (1) Penne (1) Pepperoni (1) Pesto (2) Picnics (1) Pico De Gallo (1) Pie (1) Pie Crust (1) pie filling (1) Pies (9) Pistachios (1) Pizza (1) Points (1) Pork (21) Pork Loin (1) Pot Roast (1) Potato (2) Potluck (1) Pretzel Buns (2) Product Review (1) pumpkin (2) Recipe (62) Recipes (19) Reese's (1) Review (1) Roasted Vegetables (2) salad (2) Salads (46) Sandwiches (16) Sargento Cheese (1) Sausage (1) Side (2) side dish (1) simmer sauce (1) Simple (1) Sliders (1) Snickers (1) Soup (41) spinach (6) Sprinkles (1) squash (1) Stir Fry (1) Strawberry (1) stuffed pepper (1) Stuffing (1) Sugar Free (1) Survival (1) Sweet Baby Ray (1) Taste of Home (2) This and That (120) Tomatoes (3) Trader Joe's (1) Turkey (6) Valentine's Day (1) Vegetables (38) Web Site (1) Weight Watchers (17) White Chocolate (1) wilted (1) Wrap (1)