Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Product Testing Tuesday: Sam's Club and Veggie Straws

Sean and I were in the vicinity of a Sam's club about a month ago, and I made the comment, "A Sam's Club would certainly come in handy and save me money with all the baking and cooking that I do."

And since I sometimes bake for the public, I could list A'lil Country Sugar as a business.

So we trudged inside and set up a Sam's Club account.

It has been years since I have been inside a Sam's Club, and I was very impressed with their organized set-up.

I remember Sam's Club as being a bulk, discount, just thrown in the building kind of store.

As we were walking the isles we ran across this product, Garden Veggie Straws.

Ok, just looking at the bag, I automatically envisioned Veggie Straws as flavorless with the texture of Styrofoam.

I don't know how you judge a product in a bulk store, but I go by the emptiness of the pallet or shelf.

The Veggie Straws pallet was pretty empty, I turned to Sean and asked, "Do you want to try a bag? They look like a good selling item."

And then another thought went through my head: What are we going to do with this great big bag of Veggie Straws if we don't like them?

We will be forced to eat Styrofoam snacks for a very long time.....I do not throw food away.

To my surprise the Veggie Straws reminded me of Munchos.

Do you remember this snack?

Frito-Lay Company introduced the Muncho chip in 1969.

Sometimes they are hard to find because they are not in demand like Doritos and Fritos.

My memory of the Muncho chip is a good one, and not a good one all at the same time. I first experienced the Muncho when I was a teenager.

My experience was of a crunchy, salty, flavorful chip that I just couldn't get enough of.

I just had to have a big bag of this salty, crispy, goodness, and YES, I ate the whole bag.

The results: A VERY SORE MOUTH! So, whenever I come across a bag of Munchos the painful memory comes flooding back, and the bag of chips are passed over.

You should check out this 1960's commercial for Munchos. It just goes to show how simple things were back in the 1960's.


Anyway, back to the Veggie Straws. I snapped a photo of the nutrition label so you can get a glimpse of the nutrition for yourself.

Not bad at all.

I'm so glad we decided to try this questionable treat.


Here is another label that caught my attention.

No preservatives = A+
Gluten free = A+
All natural ingredients = A+
Og trans fat = A+


AND LOOK AT THE SERVING SIZE!!

38 straws.

That's like equal to a whole bag of Munchos with less calories, less fat, and no sore mouth.


As you can see, for my lunch, I didn't even come close to the serving size of 38 straws (and that is Black Forest ham on a hot dog bun).

Just to let you know, the flavor is there....I am 100% satisfied with my on-the-spot decision to try the Garden Veggie Straws.

The next time you visit Sam's Club, pick up a bag. You will not be disappointed.

Live Large~Love Much~Laugh Often, and don't be afraid to try new things......

2 comments:

  1. Funny Story Angie, a long time ago, one of my roommates and I went to Sam's Club for the first time. We bought a 20lb. bag of rice and other large items. Well, needless to say, we created A LOT of rice dishes....even ones that didn't call for rice. We even gave out rice to friends and family when they came by....we were eating rice for months!! Sometimes those stores are good, and then sometimes you're eating rice for months!!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, speaking of rice...I taught myself how to cook rice, and I wasn't going to give up until I perfected the most fluffy white rice ever. My poor kids, they ate rice for a month straight (watery rice, sticky rice, burnt rice, etc...). I could have easily used that 20 lb. bag of rice...LOL!!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to and appreciate any comments.
Thank you for stopping by.

Labels

2013 (1) Ambrosia (1) Appetizers (23) Apples (2) artichoke (2) Arugula (1) Asparagus (1) Bacon (1) Baking (2) Balsamic Vinegar (3) Bars (18) BBQ (1) Beans (1) Beef (24) Beer (1) Beverage (8) Black Beans (1) Blended Oats (1) Blind Spot Nutbutter (1) Blueberries (1) Bread and Quick Bread (28) Breakfast (18) Buckeyes (1) Caesar Dressing (1) Cake (48) Candy (1) Candy Cane (2) Candy Corn (1) Casing Franks (1) Casserole (1) Celery (1) Cheese (1) cheese ball (1) Cheesecake (1) Cherry (1) Chicken (40) chili (1) Chocolate (2) chocolate chip cookies (2) chocolate chips (1) Christmas (5) Cinnamon (2) coconut (1) Coffee Mate (1) Cookie Butter (1) Cookie Cutters (1) Cookies (45) Cornmeal (1) crackers (1) Cranberries (1) Cranberry Sauce (1) Cream Cheese (2) crescent rolls (1) Crock Pot (5) Cucumber (1) Cut-out Cookies (1) danish (1) Dessert (4) Dry Roasted Peanuts (1) Egg White (1) Eggs (1) Fall (2) feta (1) Fish (5) Foodie Friends Friday (3) French Toast (1) French's Crispy Jalapenos (1) fruit (2) Fudge (1) Garlic (3) Garlic Bread (1) Giveaway (10) Giveaways (3) Greek (1) Green (1) guacamole (1) Holiday (32) Holiday Gifts (1) Jell-O (3) Key Lime (1) Lasagna (1) Link Party (11) linky party (1) liver (1) Low calorie (1) Magazine (1) Marshmallow Fluff (1) Martha White (1) Meat Balls (1) Mediterranean (1) menu (12) Mexican Soup (1) Muffins (23) Mushrooms (3) Nestle Toll House (1) No-Bake (1) Nut Butter (1) Oatmeal (1) Oatmeal Scotchies (1) olives (1) Overnight (1) Parmesan cheese (1) Pasta (5) Peanut Butter (2) Pear (1) Penne (1) Pepperoni (1) Pesto (2) Picnics (1) Pico De Gallo (1) Pie (1) Pie Crust (1) pie filling (1) Pies (9) Pistachios (1) Pizza (1) Points (1) Pork (21) Pork Loin (1) Pot Roast (1) Potato (2) Potluck (1) Pretzel Buns (2) Product Review (1) pumpkin (2) Recipe (62) Recipes (19) Reese's (1) Review (1) Roasted Vegetables (2) salad (2) Salads (46) Sandwiches (16) Sargento Cheese (1) Sausage (1) Side (2) side dish (1) simmer sauce (1) Simple (1) Sliders (1) Snickers (1) Soup (41) spinach (6) Sprinkles (1) squash (1) Stir Fry (1) Strawberry (1) stuffed pepper (1) Stuffing (1) Sugar Free (1) Survival (1) Sweet Baby Ray (1) Taste of Home (2) This and That (120) Tomatoes (3) Trader Joe's (1) Turkey (6) Valentine's Day (1) Vegetables (38) Web Site (1) Weight Watchers (17) White Chocolate (1) wilted (1) Wrap (1)