Friday, June 17, 2011

Daddy's Day: Strawberry Shortcake

Sunday is Father's Day.

The one day of the year that I have a hard time dealing with.

That is my Daddy.

If I still had my Daddy I would make him strawberry shortcake.

I lost my Dad when I was 17 years old. The baby in the picture is my oldest daughter Cassie.
She was born just 6 months before my Dad was taken by cancer.
I call her my gift from God. My Dad got to see his first grandchild before he was taken home to Heaven.

This bowl of vanilla ice cream covered with peanuts, chocolate chips, and chocolate syrup is dedicated to my Dad today. This is the way he always ate vanilla ice cream. Guaranteed a peanut or chocolate chip in every bite.

For my shortcakes I revised a biscuit recipe. They turned out great. I know my Dad would have loved this.

This recipe is linked to:


Strawberry Shortcake

2 c. self-rising flour
1/3 c. sugar (extra for dipping biscuits)
2 TBS melted butter
1 c. whipping cream

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet (I used an ungreased baking stone).
In a medium bowl combine flour and sugar.
Combine cream and melted butter. Pour cream mixture into flour and sugar mixture, stirring until blended (the dough will be a little stiff).
Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead 10 times. Roll to 1/2 inch thickness and cut with a 2 inch biscuit cutter. Lay biscuit in sugar, flip and lay the other side in the sugar. Place on the baking sheet and bake for 10 - 12 minutes, until golden brown.

To make self-rising flour:

1 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

Whisk all together.

"What man can live and not see death, or save himself from the power of the grave?"
Psalm 89:48

God's eternal nature is contrasted with people's frailty. Our time on earth is limited and we are to use it wisely, not living for the moment, but with our eternal home in mind.

6 comments:

  1. AWW Ang - what a sweet post dedicated to your precious dad. The shortcake - and the ice cream - look awesome. Thanks for sharing. Great picture - I know you cherish it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you as you remember your father...rejoice that he is in heaven and has left a wonderful legacy for you!Thank you so much for your daily scripture posts, I really enjoy them! Your dad would be so proud of you knowing that you are sharing your faith with the "blog" world and sharing God's wisdom and love with others

    ReplyDelete
  3. We never truly get over the loss of our parents. Every holiday brings either happy or sad memories, in your case happy ones. I know your dad would love your strawberry shortcake. It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can never get enough of Strawberry Short Cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angie, I just read your comment on the Chocolate Cinnamon Cobbler...ha, ha, you are cracking me up! How did you like the Peach Cobbler?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The peach cobbler was out of this world fantastic. I wish I would have sliced my peaches though instead of leaving them in halves, but it was great. I will be using this recipe from now on. It is hard to find really good recipes (old fashioned) now days. Thanks Lark for letting me make and share your creations.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to and appreciate any comments.
Thank you for stopping by.

Labels

2013 (1) Ambrosia (1) Appetizers (23) Apples (2) artichoke (2) Arugula (1) Asparagus (1) Bacon (1) Baking (2) Balsamic Vinegar (3) Bars (18) BBQ (1) Beans (1) Beef (24) Beer (1) Beverage (8) Black Beans (1) Blended Oats (1) Blind Spot Nutbutter (1) Blueberries (1) Bread and Quick Bread (28) Breakfast (18) Buckeyes (1) Caesar Dressing (1) Cake (48) Candy (1) Candy Cane (2) Candy Corn (1) Casing Franks (1) Casserole (1) Celery (1) Cheese (1) cheese ball (1) Cheesecake (1) Cherry (1) Chicken (40) chili (1) Chocolate (2) chocolate chip cookies (2) chocolate chips (1) Christmas (5) Cinnamon (2) coconut (1) Coffee Mate (1) Cookie Butter (1) Cookie Cutters (1) Cookies (45) Cornmeal (1) crackers (1) Cranberries (1) Cranberry Sauce (1) Cream Cheese (2) crescent rolls (1) Crock Pot (5) Cucumber (1) Cut-out Cookies (1) danish (1) Dessert (4) Dry Roasted Peanuts (1) Egg White (1) Eggs (1) Fall (2) feta (1) Fish (5) Foodie Friends Friday (3) French Toast (1) French's Crispy Jalapenos (1) fruit (2) Fudge (1) Garlic (3) Garlic Bread (1) Giveaway (10) Giveaways (3) Greek (1) Green (1) guacamole (1) Holiday (32) Holiday Gifts (1) Jell-O (3) Key Lime (1) Lasagna (1) Link Party (11) linky party (1) liver (1) Low calorie (1) Magazine (1) Marshmallow Fluff (1) Martha White (1) Meat Balls (1) Mediterranean (1) menu (12) Mexican Soup (1) Muffins (23) Mushrooms (3) Nestle Toll House (1) No-Bake (1) Nut Butter (1) Oatmeal (1) Oatmeal Scotchies (1) olives (1) Overnight (1) Parmesan cheese (1) Pasta (5) Peanut Butter (2) Pear (1) Penne (1) Pepperoni (1) Pesto (2) Picnics (1) Pico De Gallo (1) Pie (1) Pie Crust (1) pie filling (1) Pies (9) Pistachios (1) Pizza (1) Points (1) Pork (21) Pork Loin (1) Pot Roast (1) Potato (2) Potluck (1) Pretzel Buns (2) Product Review (1) pumpkin (2) Recipe (62) Recipes (19) Reese's (1) Review (1) Roasted Vegetables (2) salad (2) Salads (46) Sandwiches (16) Sargento Cheese (1) Sausage (1) Side (2) side dish (1) simmer sauce (1) Simple (1) Sliders (1) Snickers (1) Soup (41) spinach (6) Sprinkles (1) squash (1) Stir Fry (1) Strawberry (1) stuffed pepper (1) Stuffing (1) Sugar Free (1) Survival (1) Sweet Baby Ray (1) Taste of Home (2) This and That (120) Tomatoes (3) Trader Joe's (1) Turkey (6) Valentine's Day (1) Vegetables (38) Web Site (1) Weight Watchers (17) White Chocolate (1) wilted (1) Wrap (1)