Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Soup Month: Baked Potato Soup

After the rush, running, and lack of cooking during the holiday, I am now faced with a whole gallon of milk that is quickly nearing its expiration date.

I do not like to waste....

So I am forced to come up with a solution to use this gallon of milk, QUICKLY.

I chose Baked Potato Soup.

This recipe, once again, comes from the Better Baker cookbook. Her blog button is over there
<------at the left of your screen.

I am on a mission to try every single recipe in her cookbook. Instead of "Julie and Julia"...it is "Angie and Marsha"

And a little birdie told me that January is soup month. I wonder who that little birdie could be? I do believe the little birdie owns her own cookbook.

Here is something else that I didn't want to waste.

Just a couple days ago I stepped out on my front porch.

Do you pay attention to your surroundings? Do you really look at the beauty around you?

Even though I live in a small farming village, with no excitement, quiet all the time, and everyone knows everyone, there is still eye catching moments that leave me in awe. Or maybe I should say spiritual moments?

The sun was shining through the clouds in a straight line catching the top of the tree, and directly hitting the water tower.

The water tower through this winter tree looks golden. One single object kissed by sunlight.

New Year's Day is the day I created this soup.

I not only used russet baked potatoes, but I also used baked sweet potatoes. I don't know about you, but I am fussy when it comes to baked potatoes. I prefer mine baked in the oven over microwaved. Yes, I will wait an hour, hour and a half, two hours, or however long it takes for the potatoes to bake. My mother blessed me with patience; or maybe my preferences are stubborn?

I was not only facing a whole gallon of expired milk, but I was also facing a dilemma on how I was going to get my black-eyed peas (symbolize good luck and prosperity) ingested.

Oh yeah, hide them in the soup....

It worked until we sat down to dinner.

"Why do you have to put beans in everything?"

When I explained the purpose and the meaning, my family was okay with it. They ate it!!

So the black-eyed peas are an option in this recipe.

Baked Potato Soup

3 large baking potatoes, baked
2 medium sweet potatoes, baked
2/3 c. butter
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c. onion, chopped
2/3 c. all-purpose flour
4 c. milk
2 c. chicken broth
1 c. sour cream
1 c. frozen corn
1 - 15 oz. can black-eyed peas (opt)
bacon crumbles
shredded cheddar cheese

Bake potatoes at 350 degrees F. for 65 - 70 minutes or until tender; cool completely. Dice the russet baked potatoes with skins on, peel and dice the baked sweet potatoes. In a large saucepan (I used the same dutch oven I am placing the soup in), melt butter. Saute celery, onion, and garlic until crisp tender. Add the flour and stir until smooth. Gradually add milk and chicken broth (I mixed them together), using a whisk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat; whisk in sour cream. Add potatoes, frozen corn, and black-eyed peas. I heated the soup again on medium heat until everything was heated through, stirring frequently. Top each serving with bacon crumbles and shredded cheddar cheese. Salt and pepper to taste can be added to the flour or individual bowls.

Good Luck~Happy Eating~Enjoy

"My heart shall rejoice in thy salvation." Ps. 13:5

1 comment:

  1. AWWW - you made me laugh one more time! Your soup looks mighty delicious - I can't imagine it with beans, but it must be good if it got all gobbled up...or down. Your scenery pictures are delightful too. I am CRAZY in love with the idea of 'Angie & Marsha' - way too funny!! YOU GO GIRL! Something that also makes me laugh is that you make great additions/changes to the recipes you try, and I think you'll have your own cookbook (with YOUR changes) by the time you're doing going through mine. Blessings to you Sweet Friend! XO

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to and appreciate any comments.
Thank you for stopping by.

Labels

2013 (1) Ambrosia (1) Appetizers (23) Apples (2) artichoke (2) Arugula (1) Asparagus (1) Bacon (1) Baking (2) Balsamic Vinegar (3) Bars (18) BBQ (1) Beans (1) Beef (24) Beer (1) Beverage (8) Black Beans (1) Blended Oats (1) Blind Spot Nutbutter (1) Blueberries (1) Bread and Quick Bread (28) Breakfast (18) Buckeyes (1) Caesar Dressing (1) Cake (48) Candy (1) Candy Cane (2) Candy Corn (1) Casing Franks (1) Casserole (1) Celery (1) Cheese (1) cheese ball (1) Cheesecake (1) Cherry (1) Chicken (40) chili (1) Chocolate (2) chocolate chip cookies (2) chocolate chips (1) Christmas (5) Cinnamon (2) coconut (1) Coffee Mate (1) Cookie Butter (1) Cookie Cutters (1) Cookies (45) Cornmeal (1) crackers (1) Cranberries (1) Cranberry Sauce (1) Cream Cheese (2) crescent rolls (1) Crock Pot (5) Cucumber (1) Cut-out Cookies (1) danish (1) Dessert (4) Dry Roasted Peanuts (1) Egg White (1) Eggs (1) Fall (2) feta (1) Fish (5) Foodie Friends Friday (3) French Toast (1) French's Crispy Jalapenos (1) fruit (2) Fudge (1) Garlic (3) Garlic Bread (1) Giveaway (10) Giveaways (3) Greek (1) Green (1) guacamole (1) Holiday (32) Holiday Gifts (1) Jell-O (3) Key Lime (1) Lasagna (1) Link Party (11) linky party (1) liver (1) Low calorie (1) Magazine (1) Marshmallow Fluff (1) Martha White (1) Meat Balls (1) Mediterranean (1) menu (12) Mexican Soup (1) Muffins (23) Mushrooms (3) Nestle Toll House (1) No-Bake (1) Nut Butter (1) Oatmeal (1) Oatmeal Scotchies (1) olives (1) Overnight (1) Parmesan cheese (1) Pasta (5) Peanut Butter (2) Pear (1) Penne (1) Pepperoni (1) Pesto (2) Picnics (1) Pico De Gallo (1) Pie (1) Pie Crust (1) pie filling (1) Pies (9) Pistachios (1) Pizza (1) Points (1) Pork (21) Pork Loin (1) Pot Roast (1) Potato (2) Potluck (1) Pretzel Buns (2) Product Review (1) pumpkin (2) Recipe (62) Recipes (19) Reese's (1) Review (1) Roasted Vegetables (2) salad (2) Salads (46) Sandwiches (16) Sargento Cheese (1) Sausage (1) Side (2) side dish (1) simmer sauce (1) Simple (1) Sliders (1) Snickers (1) Soup (41) spinach (6) Sprinkles (1) squash (1) Stir Fry (1) Strawberry (1) stuffed pepper (1) Stuffing (1) Sugar Free (1) Survival (1) Sweet Baby Ray (1) Taste of Home (2) This and That (120) Tomatoes (3) Trader Joe's (1) Turkey (6) Valentine's Day (1) Vegetables (38) Web Site (1) Weight Watchers (17) White Chocolate (1) wilted (1) Wrap (1)