Wednesday, August 22, 2012

It's Just A Thang....Mexican Stuffed Roasted Peppers

 I seen these come through Pinterest from Simply Love Food,
and I knew right then and there that they had to be on MY plate.
But I put my own twist on them.
 Is there anything more beautiful than colorful peppers?
Okay, maybe a slice of blueberry cheesecake....
But right now the beauty is the peppers.
And if I would have known that a roasted pepper was 
out-of-this-world-amazing
I would have been roasting them years ago.
 You can even top these bad boys with sour cream if you want.
I will for sure be making these over and over in my kitchen.
 Do you remember the homemade taco seasoning that was just
presented the other day?
Yup, it's in here.
And so is some of our left-over grilled brats (jalapeno brats).

Just a tid-bit of information....
it's easier to remove the casings before the brats are cooked.
But anyway, I managed to get a little meat out of those
grilled brats without using most of the casing. 
Once you try these on your own plate,
you will be making them again, and again.
I hope you enjoy these as much as we did.
Quote from a taste tester: 
"I am not a fan of beans, but these are AMAZING!"
Chalk one up for the 'Lil Country Sugar cook 
to get a bean hater to eat beans....
Mexican Stuffed Roasted Peppers

Olive oil
6 left-over grilled brats (try and remove meat without using the grilled casing)
1 c. chopped purple onion
1 heaping TBS of homemade taco seasoning
2 c. cooked rice (I used white basmati rice)
3-4 bell peppers, halved and seeds removed (I used 3)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 c. frozen corn
1 (15-16 oz.) jar picante sauce, or salsa (I used medium heat picante)
Shredded cheddar cheese

Optional toppings:
fresh cilantro
sour cream
sliced avocado

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly coat the peppers with olive oil and roast in a baking dish about 20-25 minutes. Remove the peppers from the oven and allow to cool until you can handle them.
In a bowl add the taco seasoning, cooked meat (brats), chopped onion, black beans, corn, and rice. Add in the picante sauce and mix well.
Carefully spoon the mixture into each half of the roasted peppers (mine were heaping) and place back into the baking dish. Cook the peppers for another 15-20 minutes or until the peppers are cooked all the way through. Before removing  from the oven sprinkle the tops with shredded cheese. Place back into the oven until cheese is melted.
Top peppers with your choice of toppings.

Photobucket
This recipe is linked to:
Thursday Treasures ~ Recipes for My Boys
Foodie Friends Friday
The Better Baker ~ Weekend Pot Luck
Six Sisters Stuff ~ Strut Your Stuff Saturday

8 comments:

  1. YUMMM! I don't like green peppers (& they don't like me) but I do like these colored ones...and I like everything else you added. Sounds like a fabulous recipe - always good when you can get someone that thinks they don't like something, to taste it...and enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angie! I love all kinds of stuffed peppers and I'll definitely add this version to my list! Thanks for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if my husband would eat these if I didn't tell him that they are mexican stuffed.... I love this recipe and hope to try it one of these days. Thanks for sharing. I thought I was following your blog but it looks like I wasn't... Well I am now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marlys. And I think you could be sneaky with this recipe. They are very good.

      Delete
  4. YUMMY! No bean haters, here! These look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! Thank you for sharing on Thursday's Treasures week 48! I've featured this amazing recipe on Week 49. <3 and hugs! http://www.recipesformyboys.com/2012/08/thursdays-treasures-week-48.html

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to and appreciate any comments.
Thank you for stopping by.

Labels

2013 (1) Ambrosia (1) Appetizers (23) Apples (2) artichoke (2) Arugula (1) Asparagus (1) Bacon (1) Baking (2) Balsamic Vinegar (3) Bars (18) BBQ (1) Beans (1) Beef (24) Beer (1) Beverage (8) Black Beans (1) Blended Oats (1) Blind Spot Nutbutter (1) Blueberries (1) Bread and Quick Bread (28) Breakfast (18) Buckeyes (1) Caesar Dressing (1) Cake (48) Candy (1) Candy Cane (2) Candy Corn (1) Casing Franks (1) Casserole (1) Celery (1) Cheese (1) cheese ball (1) Cheesecake (1) Cherry (1) Chicken (40) chili (1) Chocolate (2) chocolate chip cookies (2) chocolate chips (1) Christmas (5) Cinnamon (2) coconut (1) Coffee Mate (1) Cookie Butter (1) Cookie Cutters (1) Cookies (45) Cornmeal (1) crackers (1) Cranberries (1) Cranberry Sauce (1) Cream Cheese (2) crescent rolls (1) Crock Pot (5) Cucumber (1) Cut-out Cookies (1) danish (1) Dessert (4) Dry Roasted Peanuts (1) Egg White (1) Eggs (1) Fall (2) feta (1) Fish (5) Foodie Friends Friday (3) French Toast (1) French's Crispy Jalapenos (1) fruit (2) Fudge (1) Garlic (3) Garlic Bread (1) Giveaway (10) Giveaways (3) Greek (1) Green (1) guacamole (1) Holiday (32) Holiday Gifts (1) Jell-O (3) Key Lime (1) Lasagna (1) Link Party (11) linky party (1) liver (1) Low calorie (1) Magazine (1) Marshmallow Fluff (1) Martha White (1) Meat Balls (1) Mediterranean (1) menu (12) Mexican Soup (1) Muffins (23) Mushrooms (3) Nestle Toll House (1) No-Bake (1) Nut Butter (1) Oatmeal (1) Oatmeal Scotchies (1) olives (1) Overnight (1) Parmesan cheese (1) Pasta (5) Peanut Butter (2) Pear (1) Penne (1) Pepperoni (1) Pesto (2) Picnics (1) Pico De Gallo (1) Pie (1) Pie Crust (1) pie filling (1) Pies (9) Pistachios (1) Pizza (1) Points (1) Pork (21) Pork Loin (1) Pot Roast (1) Potato (2) Potluck (1) Pretzel Buns (2) Product Review (1) pumpkin (2) Recipe (62) Recipes (19) Reese's (1) Review (1) Roasted Vegetables (2) salad (2) Salads (46) Sandwiches (16) Sargento Cheese (1) Sausage (1) Side (2) side dish (1) simmer sauce (1) Simple (1) Sliders (1) Snickers (1) Soup (41) spinach (6) Sprinkles (1) squash (1) Stir Fry (1) Strawberry (1) stuffed pepper (1) Stuffing (1) Sugar Free (1) Survival (1) Sweet Baby Ray (1) Taste of Home (2) This and That (120) Tomatoes (3) Trader Joe's (1) Turkey (6) Valentine's Day (1) Vegetables (38) Web Site (1) Weight Watchers (17) White Chocolate (1) wilted (1) Wrap (1)